Computational Biologist – Algorithm Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
10x is looking for an outstanding individual to join its Computational Biology group. This person will: (1) develop algorithms for gaining biological insight from single cell and spatial datasets (2) define custom analyses to guide product development. The ideal candidate will have experience implementing novel methods using linear models, machine learning, graph algorithms, probability theory, etc. Experience combining novel and existing methods into effective implementations is a must. The right candidate must also have strong programming skills, and a keen interest in biology and working with real-world data. Strong interpersonal skills, a desire to understand customer needs and the ability to communicate results clearly are a must.
- Develop algorithms for spatial and single-cell data analysis
- Develop custom analyses to assess and guide development of our core technology
- Work with software team to commercialize algorithms products
- Work with early customers to understand applications and requirements
- Analyze internally generated spatial and single-cell data
Desired Skills and Background
- PhD in computer science, mathematics, computational/systems biology or related field
- Strong background in numerical methods, statistics & probability, optimization, etc.
- Interest in applying analytical tools to solve important biological problems
- Strong programming ability in Python / R (Rust / C / C++ a significant plus)
- Experience building and releasing commercial software a significant plus
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over novel applications of data
- A combination of mathematical depth with a healthy respect for the imperfections inherent in real-world data
- Highly independent but a team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.