Computational Biologist: Product Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Location: Pleasanton, CA
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join our Computational Biology group. You will work closely with talented and highly motivated biochemists, microfluidics engineers, chemists and software engineers to develop Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies. Our products have allowed researchers to study biology at unprecedented resolution yielding insights in diverse fields such as cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, developmental and basic biology.
You will innovate computational methods and analyses to improve product performance during a fast-paced product development cycle. This includes discovering issues through careful analysis of sequencing data and working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary product team to help resolve them. You will also develop metrics and other automated analyses that will eventually be used by customers to benchmark assay performance.
You have a strong background in statistics, data analysis and you are deeply knowledgeable about existing NGS technologies and the subtleties of NGS data. You are a good programmer who can take an idea and quickly implement it in code. You are able to communicate your ideas and work effectively with an interdisciplinary team and incorporate their feedback into your analysis. You are a strategic thinker, highly motivated, action driven and flexible in changing direction and methods. You thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, communicate clearly and get the job done.
- Develop analyses to assess and guide development of the core technology
- Create statistical models to understand the root causes of errors
- Build statistical analyses into robust internal tools for monitoring performance over time
- Define and prioritize the development of experimental metrics for tracking performance improvements
- Design proof-of-concept experiments, analyze and interpret the data to demonstrate the unique power of the 10x Genomics platform internally and externally
Required Skills and Background
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. physics, mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, computational/systems biology or related field)
- Ability to quickly conceive and implement custom statistical methods and algorithms and apply them to large data sets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas with an interdisciplinary team
- Has experience with the analysis of NGS data
- Ability to work independently
Desired Skills and Background
- Strong programming ability in Python or R
- A deep intuition for the processes utilized by current NGS technologies
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over finding useful information in data
- Hands on experience with NGS data tools (e.g. bwa, samtools, GATK)
- A combination of mathematical depth with a healthy respect for the imperfections inherent in real-world data
- Strong interest in applying analytical tools to solve important and interesting biological problems
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.