Computational Biologist – Product Development / Sweden
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Computational Biologist – Product Development
10x is looking for an outstanding individual to join its Computational Biology group. This person will lead the development of analytical frameworks and computational methods for investigating the error modes of all components of the core technology and the impact of these on application performance. These analyses will drive the prioritization of technology development within the company. This position is a unique opportunity to work on an exciting and novel form of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data that enables a wide array of previously unachievable applications.
The ideal candidate will have an extremely strong background in statistics and data analysis. He or she will also be deeply knowledgeable about existing NGS technologies and have a keen intuition for NGS data. The right candidate must also have strong programming skills, and a deep interest in biology. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate results clearly are a must. This position will interact closely with colleagues in biochemistry, microfluidics, chemistry and software.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Develop custom analyses to assess and guide development of the core technology
- Create statistical models to understand root causes of errors
- Build statistical analyses into robust internal tools for monitoring performance over time
- Define and prioritize the development of experimental metrics for tracking performance improvements
- Build out simulation framework to explore performance under wide array of conditions
Required Skills and Background
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in quantitative field (e.g. physics, mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, computational/systems biology or related field)
- Ability to quickly develop custom statistical methods and algorithms and apply them to large data sets
- Highly independent
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Strong programming ability in Python or R
- A deep intuition for the processes utilized by current NGS technologies
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over finding useful information in data
- Hands on experience with NGS data tools (e.g. bwa, samtools, GATK)
- A combination of mathematical depth with a healthy respect for the imperfections inherent in real-world data
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.