Computational Biologist – Spatial Product Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
10x is looking for an outstanding individual to join its Computational Biology group to work on its next generation spatial genomics assays. The ideal candidate has experience implementing robust algorithms for detecting and modeling features in microscopy images and drawing inferences from them. Candidate should have deep knowledge of optical image analysis and will be well served by the ability to combine published algorithms with original ideas and quickly turning it into efficient code. Candidate will be expected to be highly independent, relied on for their expert technical opinion and thrive in a quickly changing environment.
- Develop automation friendly, blazing fast, high performance computational code for processing big spatial image data
- Be a team player and work collaboratively in a fast paced team of microscopy experts and software engineers to guide product development
- Perform statistical analysis and design metrics to measure product performance
- Quickly build, prototype and test code with appropriately high level of engineering and optimization
Required Skills and Background
- MS/PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, computational imaging or related computational field with 1-5 years of experience
- Strong background in numerical analysis, image and signal processing, computer vision, statistics and an interest in biology
- Strong programming ability in a compiled language with experience in using image processing and computer vision libraries (C++ etc). Experience with Python and R a plus.
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over extracting maximum power from data while acknowledging and quantifying imperfections inherent in real-world data
Desired Skills and Background
- Experienced in building algorithms for analyzing, segmenting, classifying features in fluorescence microscopy data
- Expert at multithreaded programming on SIMD architectures/GPUs, with strong systems understanding
- Experienced in rendering data to html or a front-end for visualizing images with support for simple interactions
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.