Director Assay Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Director, Assay Development
We are looking for an exceptional scientist and manager to lead the Assay Development group within our Molecular Biology department. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of leading teams of scientists that have successfully developed creative and novel molecular biology protocols for solving complex biological problems. The candidate must combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management, a strong drive for making great products and deep familiarity with next-generation sequencing applications. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, software, chemistry, microfluidics, program management, marketing and environmental health and safety.
- Establish and maintain the necessary team structures, processes, infrastructure and environment to drive development of industry-leading molecular biology assays for the 10x Genomics technology platforms.
- Manage and mentor scientists matrixed into multiple multi-disciplinary product development and research teams.
- Direct recruitment, onboarding and continual training of world-class molecular biologists.
- Conceive, initiate and direct early stage research and development of novel/optimized assay schemes, molecular biology workflows and reagents.
- Contribute to planning and monitoring of Molecular Biology budgets and staffing plans.
- Contribute molecular biology expertise to company-wide strategic planning and development of product roadmaps.
- Collaborate with internal teams including sample preparation, product integration, microfluidics and chemistry to establish company-wide best practices for experimental design and execution, documentation, laboratory information management, resource utilization and environmental health and safety.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a similar field.
- A minimum of 5 years post-graduate experience in the life sciences industry, including a minimum of one year in a technical leadership position with direct reports.
- Proven ability to plan and execute highly technical development projects, as evidenced by published patents, peer-reviewed articles or launched products.
- Proven ability to manage functional or project-based teams of 10 or more scientists in a matrix environment.
- Experience in developing molecular biology assays or protocols utilizing next-generation sequencing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment.
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research.
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience in single-cell genomics, functional genomics or immunology.
- Experience in development of molecular biology assays for microfluidic technology platforms.
- Experience in computational analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
- Experience in formal design of experiment (DOE) methodologies.
- Formal coursework or training in people management.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.