Director, Consumable Process Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Director, Consumable Process Development
The Director of Process Development will lead the development staff who are responsible for the transition of consumable products from concept feasibility to volume manufacturing. This function and team is central and critical to the growth and success of 10x Genomics. The products and sub-components that flow through the Product Development Process includes chemistries, biochemistries, fluidic devices, custom processes and tooling, and a broad spectrum of quality control methods, including Next Generation Sequencing functional testing. As such, the position requires a technical knowledge of the scientific disciplines associated with the products, the manufacturing/QC processes, vendors processes, component synthesis, reagent and enzyme formulation, fill and packaging. This person will guide the development staff through the various phases of product development with highly productive interactions, with core R&D teams, engineering, applications, marketing, customer support, supply chain, document control and manufacturing/QC. This person will also be responsible for strategic planning, budgeting, hiring the best in the industry, building relationships internally and with external suppliers and OEM manufacturers.
- Develop and guide the staff that will drive consumable products from concept feasibility into manufacturing.
- Strategic planning around the development process, vendor development, required skill sets and allocations, budgeting, manufacturing and QC strategy, time to market, capacity planning, and cost reduction.
- Understanding of the scientific and engineering disciplines required by the products, processes and QC methods.
- Develop methodologies for risk assessment and mitigation, identification of sources of variability, including capturing and mining production and QC data for statistical analysis.
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing applications and requirements.
- Providing resources for continuous improvement of launched products, quality, yield and capacity improvement. Development and qualification of alternate production processes and methods.
- Sound judgement and decision-making capabilities to meet time to market requirements, while ensuring 10x’s customers receive high quality products without risk of backorder.
- Collaboration and communication across functional teams, with external suppliers, and within the development team.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in molecular biology, analytical chemistry or chemical engineering.
- 7+ years of relevant experience leading teams to commercialize successful products in life sciences.
- Demonstrated record of successful technology transfer from early R&D concepts into customer-facing products.
- Broad range of technical knowledge in the various scientific disciplines that support the development and manufacturing of 10x consumable products.
- Ability to segment failure modes to their underlying root causes and implement corrective actions.
- Ability to implement a data capture and analysis function to establish process capability and sources of variability.
- Demonstrated ability for strategic planning and budgeting.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.