Director of R&D – Stockholm, Sweden
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Director of R&D - Stockholm, Sweden
We are looking for an exceptional scientist and manager to lead research and development at our Stockholm R&D facility. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of leading teams of scientists that have successfully developed creative and novel computational and molecular biology-based technologies for solving complex biological problems. The candidate must combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management, a strong drive for making great products and deep familiarity with next-generation sequencing applications. This position will interact closely with senior leadership at our Pleasanton HQ, as well as our global R&D, product management, marketing and technical support staff.
- Establish and maintain the necessary team structures, processes, infrastructure and environment to drive development of industry-leading assays for the 10x Genomics technology platforms, with emphasis on spatial transcriptomics.
- Manage and mentor scientists and engineers matrixed into multiple multi-disciplinary product development and research teams.
- Conceive, initiate and oversee early stage research and development of novel/optimized assay schemes, workflows, reagents and algorithms.
- Oversee collaborative research and development with local industry and academic partners.
- Oversee recruitment, onboarding and continual training of world-class computational and molecular biologists.
- Contribute to establishment and maintenance of strong lines of communication, knowledge-sharing and collaboration between global R&D facilities.
- Contribute to planning and monitoring of site- and project-specific budgets and staffing plans.
- Contribute expertise to company-wide strategic planning and development of product roadmaps.
- Collaborate with internal functional teams including molecular biology, computational biology, product integration, microfluidics and chemistry to establish company-wide best practices for experimental design and execution, documentation, laboratory information management, resource utilization and environmental health and safety.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in biotechnology, genomics, molecular biology or a similar field.
- A minimum of 5 years post-graduate experience in the life sciences industry, including a minimum of 2 years in a technical leadership position with direct reports.
- Proven ability to plan and execute highly technical development projects, as evidenced by published patents, peer-reviewed articles or launched products.
- Proven ability to manage functional or project-based teams of 10 or more scientists in a matrix environment.
- Experience with molecular biology assays/protocols utilizing next-generation sequencing.
- Experience with computational analysis of complex data sets.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment.
- Ability to travel to Pleasanton, CA for at least one week every six months.
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research.
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience in tissue analysis using quantitative microscopy, in situ RNA or protein assays, spatial transcriptomics or similar techniques.
- Experience in single-cell genomics, functional genomics or immunology.
- Experience in formal design of experiment (DOE) methodologies.
- Formal coursework or training in people management.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.