Director, Protein Engineering
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Director, Protein Engineering
We are looking for an exceptional hands-on scientist and manager to lead a new Protein Engineering group in our Molecular Biology department. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of developing novel enzymes and other protein reagents for use in complex molecular biology applications. He/she should be driven by making great products and enjoy working in a truly multi-disciplinary environment. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, software, chemistry, microfluidics and program management.
- Establish and maintain the team structures, processes, infrastructure and environment necessary to drive development of best-in-class protein reagents for the 10x Genomics technology platforms.
- Manage and mentor scientists matrixed into multiple multi-disciplinary product development and research teams.
- Direct recruitment, onboarding and continual training of world-class protein engineers, structural biologists and biochemists.
- Conceive, initiate and execute early stage research and development of novel/optimized enzyme variants for NGS applications.
- Personally perform experiments and data analysis as necessary to achieve group goals.
- Contribute to planning and monitoring of Molecular Biology budgets and staffing plans.
- Contribute protein engineering and biochemistry expertise to company-wide strategic planning and development of product roadmaps.
- Collaborate with internal teams including assay development, product integration, microfluidics and chemistry to establish company-wide best practices for experimental design and execution, documentation, laboratory information management, resource utilization and environmental health and safety.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in protein engineering, biochemistry, structural biology or a similar field.
- A minimum of 5 years post-graduate experience in the life sciences industry, including a minimum of two years in a technical leadership position with direct reports.
- Proven ability to develop novel or optimized enzymes for use in molecular biology applications (e.g. reverse transcriptase, polymerases, ligases) as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, published patents or launched products
- Experience in design and execution of protein activity screens and directed evolution
- Experience in design, construction and characterization of protein variant libraries
- Experience in protein expression, purification and characterization
- Proven ability to manage functional or project-based teams of scientists in a matrix environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment.
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research.
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience developing high-throughput assays based on next generation sequencing
- Experience in computational analysis of next-generation sequencing data
- Experience in computational modeling and analysis of protein structure
- Experience with microfluidic droplet-based assays
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.