Director, Technical Content & Operations
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
DIRECTOR, TECHNICAL CONTENT CREATION & OPERATIONS
As the Director of Technical Content Creation & Operations, you will create and lead a scalable content system that delivers measurable value to customers, sales, marketing, support, and channel partners.
You are highly organized, influential, a highly productive writer and editor, and a quick learner. You have an eye for detail and consistency, and exhibit unfailing attention to quality construction. Your strong linguistic/technical skills and aptitude for organizing complex information enable you to lead others.
You are dedicated to adding value, and understand the connection between technical content, customer experience, and business success. Being part of a hard-working team that aspires to be the best in the industry engages your enthusiasm and commitment. You seek out opportunities to improve tools, deliverables, and processes, and show good judgment about when and how to drive change. Global thinking, consideration of downstream implications, and attention to sustainable infrastructure are part of your normal approach.
This position relies on effective engagement with many groups. The best candidate will quickly gain a reputation as a strong partner who intelligently gathers input from multiple stakeholders and deals effectively with ambiguous or missing information. Over time, your knowledge of the inter- dependencies between products and technical materials enables you to see opportunities that others have missed.
- Stand up and lead an end-to-end process to create high quality, consistent outbound technical materials with maximum efficiency.
- Be the company advocate for consistency and attention to detail.
- Maintain a style guide and advocate its regular use among contributors.
- Work with R&D, Support, and Marketing to create technical documentation for a variety of scientific audiences.
- Mentor and manage internal contributors and stakeholders, technical writers, technical illustrators/designers, and outside contributors to maximize technical content generation efficiency.
- Propose improvements to authoring tools and work with subject matter experts to evaluate and implement. Train scientists and other contributors in writing the best possible input material.
Required Skills and Background
- An advanced degree in either a scientific discipline or a linguistics discipline combined with experience in the life sciences industry.
- 8+ years as a senior technical writer in industry.
- 2+ years managing content creation as a whole.
- Expert understanding and use of content creation and management tools.
- Unwavering attention to detail.
- Proficient in English, attentive to industry-leading standards, and equipped with excellent grammatical and editorial skills.
- The job requires strong organizational skills and excellent time and project management. You must thrive in a fast-paced and last-minute change environment.
- Experience influencing across boundaries, finding win-win solutions, and responding to obstacles creatively and resourcefully are key characteristics.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.