Linux / Infrastructure Engineer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is a Bay Area start-up developing new technologies for breakthrough next generation sequencing applications. Our multi-disciplinary team in microfluidics, biochemistry, mechanical engineering, computational biology, and software has a proven track record of delivering successful commercial products built on deep technological innovation. Information technology is a vital and integral part of our success. At 10x Genomics, IT not only provides a secure, stable, and scalable infrastructure for R&D and business operations, it serves as a catalyst for innovation and productivity.
We are looking for an exceptional engineer with a solid understanding of Linux, High Performance Computing, network storage, and infrastructure to join our IT team. If you are a self-starter who is passionate about building scalable and performant systems, takes pride in finding the best technology solution for a business problem, and is excited to work in a highly collaborative environment alongside a diverse team of experts every day, join us at 10x Genomics.
- Design, build, configure, and maintain Linux and related high performance systems and storage on premise and in the cloud, for scientific computing and corporate IT.
- Work closely with software, computational biology, and business teams to identify computing requirements and develop solutions.
- Monitor infrastructure and applications for uptime and resource utilization, identify performance bottlenecks, and implement changes to improve performance.
- Perform root cause analysis and troubleshooting system issues.
- Improve operational efficiency through automation.
- Manage backup and archive systems for data protection and retention.
- Maintain detailed documentation of system build and operational procedures.
- Off-hour support may be required on occasions.
Desired Skills and Background
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of Linux administration experience in a medium to large scale environment.
- 3+ years of building and maintaining High Performance Computing (HPC) or distributed computing systems
- Extensive experience in provisioning and configuration management tools.
- Knowledge of Linux kernel tuning and performance optimization in a 10GbE environment.
- Knowledge of cluster workload managers such as SGE or Slurm.
- Experience in managing production VMware environment.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language.
- Working knowledge of LDAP and Active Directory.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and other networking concepts. Experience with Cisco, Juniper, or Arista switches a plus.
- Cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE) experience strongly preferred.
- Strong desire to learn and implement new technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.