Linux Systems Engineer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Linux Systems Engineer
10x Genomics is a Bay Area start-up developing new technologies for breakthrough next generation sequencing applications. Our multi-disciplinary team in microfluidics, biochemistry, mechanical engineering, computational biology, and software has a proven track record of delivering successful commercial products built on deep technological innovation. Information technology is a vital and integral part of our success. At 10x Genomics, IT not only provides a secure, stable, and scalable infrastructure for R&D and business operations, it serves as a catalyst for innovation and productivity.
We are looking for an exceptional engineer with a solid understanding of Linux, High Performance Computing, network storage, and infrastructure to join our IT team. If you are a self-starter who is passionate about building scalable and performant systems, takes pride in finding the best technology solutions for science and business problems, and is excited to work in a highly collaborative environment alongside a diverse team of experts every day, join us at 10x Genomics.
- Design, build, configure, and maintain Linux and related high performance systems and storage on premise and in the cloud for scientific computing.
- Work closely with software, computational biology, and R&D teams to identify computing requirements and develop solutions.
- Monitor infrastructure and applications for uptime and resource utilization, identify performance bottlenecks, and implement changes to improve performance.
- Perform root cause analysis and troubleshooting system issues.
- Improve operational efficiency through automation.
- Maintain detailed documentation of system build and operational procedures.
- Off-hour support may be required on occasions.
Desired Skills and Background
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of Linux administration experience in a medium to large scale environment.
- 3+ years of building and maintaining High Performance Computing (HPC) or distributed computing systems.
- Experience with NAS and solid knowledge of NFS protocol.
- Extensive experience in provisioning and configuration management tools.
- Knowledge of Linux kernel tuning and performance optimization in a 10GbE environment.
- Knowledge of cluster workload managers such as SGE or Slurm.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language.
- Working knowledge of LDAP and Active Directory.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and other networking concepts. Experience with Cisco, Juniper, or Arista switches a plus.
- Cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE) experience strongly preferred.
- Strong desire to learn and implement new technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.