Location: Pleasanton Headquarters
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated and experienced patent agent to play a primary role with the company’s strategic IP efforts worldwide. This patent agent will have a critical role in supporting 10x Genomics’ business in connection with IP portfolio objectives and management, and contribute on an individual basis to patent prosecution and maintenance.
- Strategic contributor to the drafting, filing, prosecution, and maintenance of 10x’s worldwide patent portfolio. Able to provide hands-on direction and input to outside counsel, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product, including patent applications and office action responses. Able to contribute to global patent strategy as needed over time with a focus on alignment of the patent portfolio with 10x’s business needs, priorities and resources.
- Interact with R&D at all levels, including group leaders and team members, to identify patentable inventions and secure patents on 10x innovations
- Strategic contributor to IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing)
- Assist 10x counsel and outside counsel on IP-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
Required Skills and Background
- Admission to the United States Patent & Trademark Office Bar
- Solid knowledge of global intellectual property laws & practices
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in life sciences, biotechnology or closely related patent areas with a strong preference for in-house experience
- Experienced in managing complex patent portfolios & strategies and developing commercially-relevant patent assets
- Experience in adverse proceedings (e.g., litigation, USPTO proceedings, EPO oppositions) is a plus
- Advanced degree (preferably a Ph.D.) in biochemistry, molecular biology or chemistry; a strong technological aptitude for learning and working with a range of technologies; and a willingness to learn and engage with 10X employees and outside counsel in other technology areas including microfluidics, instrumentation, and software
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to strategically educate and support fellow employees
- Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others
- Experience managing outside counsel is a plus
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.