Product (UI/UX) Designer
Location: San Francisco, CA
Product (UI/UX) Designer
10x Genomics is seeking our second Product Designer to design software and web experiences that help scientists make important discoveries, faster. You’ll get the opportunity to design an entirely new SaaS product, build data visualizations and tools, and work with a multidisciplinary group of engineers, biologists, roboticists, and more. Existing science knowledge is not required to apply, but you should have interest in learning about the great unknowns of biology. Join us in making real impact in cancer research, genomics, and people’s lives.
How is this different from other design jobs?
- You get real ownership of the product direction in a culture that respects and supports design.
- You get to work with really smart people (who also happen to be really nice).
- Your work will directly affect the speed of scientific research across the world and our understanding of biology. Your work will matter (not just get A/B tested away!).
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for smart designers at all skill levels. This is a good job for someone who is excited by interesting design challenges, who loves collaborating and learning from others, and who wants to exercise their design thinking beyond simply applying existing UI patterns. This isn’t a good job for someone who only wants to make something visually beautiful, or someone who adheres too heavily to process.
If you want to use your design skills to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives, apply and let’s talk!
Anything that makes you a more of a generalist -- coding, data visualization, data analysis, business strategy, deep knowledge of other fields…
How to apply
1. Apply through this site
2. Complete the quick (and hopefully fun) design challenge at: https://francesyun.github.io/10xDesignChallenge/
3. We'll get back to you if we think there's a good fit!
For building software, we use modern web technologies like React and D3.js. For design and building our design system, we use Figma (it’s easy to switch from Sketch). Our HQ is in Pleasanton (if you don’t know where that is -- it’s in the East Bay, near the West Dublin/Pleasanton BART station. As you might expect from the name, it’s very pleasant -- sunny and safe, with green hills). We also have an office in SF, near the Embarcadero BART station. This position can be based in the SF office (where several engineers are based), but you’ll be expected to come to Pleasanton at least once a week.