Research Associate – Reagent R&D
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Research Associate - Reagent R&D
10x is seeking an outstanding Research Associate to join the Reagent Development team and work on the rapid prototyping and testing of critical 10x reagents. This is a unique cross-disciplinary position that will work closely with a variety of groups including; Chemistry, Microfluidics, Molecular Biology, and Consumable Process Development, to develop and integrate reagents for the rapid expansion of 10x product lines. The ideal candidate must have a broad and extensive working knowledge of chemistry fundamentals and characterization techniques, and be able to apply that know-how creatively and independently in a fast-paced work environment. Preference will be given to applicants with industry experience integrating polymer/hydrogel technologies into microfluidic/biochemical applications, while maintaining an analytical approach to reagent development and optimization.
Individuals applying for this position must be highly motivated self-starters, action driven, collaborative, have exceptional attention to detail, be flexible in shifting focus between a variety of projects as required, communicate effectively, and provide immediate contribution.
- Characterization of existing and emerging chemical processes/reactions to develop a fundamental understanding of underlying reaction mechanisms and interactions, cause and effect, and process tolerances/variances
- Aid in the design, development, characterization, and optimization of a broad range of polymer chemistry/hydrogel based solutions to advance current 10x platforms and overcome potential technological challenges
- Integrate optimized chemistries into existing and future microfluidic and biochemical processes
- Perform assays to probe stability, tolerances, and shortcomings of developing systems
- Identify, understand, and resolve potential failure modes at early stages of the product development process (PDP)
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to translate novel technological advances from R&D to elegant and robust commercial product lines
- Contribute to PDP design decisions through effective communication of experimental design, results, and conclusions at regular data-driven product development meetings
- Follow good laboratory practices, including maintenance of accurate laboratory notebooks
Required Skills and Background
- Master’s degree in Chemistry or related discipline (Bachelor’s degree requires additional 3+ years’ experience), with extensive knowledge in analytical methods/characterization techniques, polymer chemistry/hydrogels, and biochemistry
- Experienced in the independent operation of a diverse array of instrumentation, including appropriate experimental design/control/execution to achieve reliable and reproducible results
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and validate multi-step assay schemes to answer complex questions and/or overcome technological hurdles
- Ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines
- Capacity to design and execute high-impact experiments, including the in-depth analysis of results to formulate meaningful hypotheses/conclusions
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with microscopy, high-speed imaging, and/or quantitative fluorescence imaging
- Experience executing, and/or programming, custom scripts to perform data analysis
- Experience with droplet microfluidics
- Experience operating, and/or characterizing, microfluidic devices
- Experience operating, and/or designing, custom tooling for process/physical characterization
- Experience with surfactant stabilized emulsion based systems/assays
- Experience with a broad range of analytical techniques and biological assays including; NMR, UV-Vis, HPLC, DLS, microscopy, flow cytometry and/or bioimaging, PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, PAGE, ELISA, and nucleic acid isolation and manipulation
- Understanding and experience with next-generation sequencing workflows and/or data analysis
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.