Scientific Instructional Designer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Scientific Instructional Designer
The Scientific Instructional Designer is a key member of the Commercial Team. This role reports to the Senior Marketing Manager, Content Writing in the Brand and Marketing Communications department. This role is primarily responsible for development of content to enhance customer education, training, and learning. A scientific background and experience in instructional design will make you an excellent candidate for this position.
- Work with subject matter experts to identify technical target audience’s training needs
- Work with 10x Genomics Support team and Training Manager to develop a training plan and curriculum with set instructional end goals and create engaging learning activities and compelling course content to meet goals
- Visualize instructional graphics, the user interface and the finished product
- Analyze and apply trends and best practices in learning technologies and instructional design
- Provide exercises and activities that enhance the learning process
- Create supporting material/media (audio, video, simulations, role plays, games etc.)
- Devise modes of assessment, such as tests or quizzes, to measure the effectiveness of the course
- Manage training tool and maintain project documentation and course folders
- Coordinate routing and review of content in compliance with 10x Genomics Document Control requirements
- Follow 10x Genomics voice and tone in development of scientific and technical content. Review and evaluate content for compliance with desired message, voice, tone, and style
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Services team to generate creative concepts
- Work collaboratively in a team environment composed of Designers, Marcomm Operations, Support Scientists, Training Specialists, and TechComm, along with external agencies and contractors to execute content creation
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a master’s degree; PhD, or other advanced degree is preferred, in a relevant field (such as genetics, genomics, biomedical, bioinformatics, biostatistics, or computational biology). Ability to understand and interpret genetic/genomic data required.
- More than 5 years writing experience related to scientific, diagnostic, or medical content.
- Previous working experience in instructional design for 3+ years. Training in instructional design, educational technology or similar relevant field a plus
- In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Lesson and curriculum planning skills
- Visual design skills
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio and video scripts
- Experience working with learning management system (LMS), Bridge a plus
Desired Skills and Background
- Knowledge of GSuite, Atlassian/Confluence and Internet proficiencies are preferred.
- Adobe InDesign and html experience a plus.
- Experience with Workfront or comparable project management system and digital asset management system.