Scientist II – Chemistry Technology Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
We are seeking an outstanding Scientist to join our 10x Genomics team to work on next-generation product development.
This is a unique cross-disciplinary chemistry position that will require working closely with a variety of other disciplines including: Molecular Biology, Microfluidics, Computational Biology and Consumable Process Development. The ideal candidate will have a broad working knowledge of chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry and molecular biology and the capability of applying this know-how creatively/independently within a fast-paced work environment. Individuals applying for this position must be highly motivated self-starters, action driven, collaborative, have exceptional attention to detail, be flexible in shifting focus between a variety of projects as required, communicate effectively, and provide immediate contribution.
- Undertake the technical development of chemical & chemical engineering solutions across internal and customer facing projects
- Integrate custom chemistries into new and/or existing workflows
- Build deep and fundamental chemical understanding of reactions and physical process that occur within our products and their associated workflows
- Undertake paper studies and basic exploration of new scientific or product concepts to determine their feasibility
- Establish analytical assays for product and component characterization
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to translate novel technological advances from R&D to elegant and robust commercial product lines
- Productive execution of well thought out experiments, accurate recording of results along with in-depth analysis and reporting of these results
- Take crazy chemistry ideas and make them work!
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry or Bioengineering.
- 5+ years relevant experience in chemistry development for life science products and applications
- Proven ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines
- Methods development capability for a broad range of standard techniques as well as ability to develop novel methods based on the requirements of the project
- Experienced in the analysis and interpretation of complex data sets
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with droplet microfluidics including: microparticle synthesis, biomolecule encapsulation dynamics, and droplet unit operations.
- Microarray development experience as demonstrated by the launch of successful array-based product lines
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement complex multi-step assay schemes.
- Experience with microscopy, quantitative fluorescence imaging and high-speed imaging.
- Knowledge in programming (Python, R, Excel macros etc.)
- Understanding and experience with next-generation sequencing workflows and data analysis
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)