Scientist II/ Senior Scientist – Chemistry
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientist to join our 10x Genomics team to drive research and next-generation product development at our Pleasanton Headquarters.
This is a unique cross-disciplinary chemistry position that will require working closely with a variety of other disciplines including: Molecular Biology, Microfluidics, Computational Biology and Consumable Process Development. The ideal candidate will have a chemistry background with a broad working knowledge of biomaterials, nanotechnology, tissue culture, bioconjugation and analytical chemistry and the capability of applying this know-how creatively/independently within a fast-paced work environment. Individuals applying for this position must be highly motivated self-starters, action driven, collaborative, have exceptional attention to detail, be flexible in shifting focus between a variety of projects as required, communicate effectively, and provide immediate contribution.
Job level and title will be commensurate with experience.
- Collaborate across multiple disciplines to identify, develop and implement novel chemistry solutions and translate these solutions from R&D to elegant and robust commercial product lines
- Undertake paper studies and basic exploration of new scientific or product concepts to determine their feasibility
- Establish analytical assays for product and component characterization
- Contribute to design decisions through effective communication of experimental design, results, and, conclusions at regular data-driven product development meetings
- Productive execution of well thought out experiments, accurate recording of results along with in-depth analysis and reporting of these results
- Integrate custom chemistries into new and/or existing workflows
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Bioengineering with 3-8 years postgraduate experience in academia or industry.
- 5+ years relevant experience in bioconjugation, biomaterials, polymer chemistry, analytical chemistry and tissue culture for life science products and applications
- Strong ability to perform multidisciplinary research and ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines
- Hands-on experience with a broad range of bioconjugation and surface modification chemistries; and subsequent characterization via analytical and biological assays including; UV-Vis, HPLC, GPC, DLS, flow cytometry and/or bioimaging
- Experience in standard molecular biology techniques such as sample preparation, nucleic acid amplification, qPCR, gel electrophoresis etc.
- Hands-on experience in cell culture and cell staining, microscopy and related biological/in vitro cell-based assays
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving, fast-paced organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Desired Skills and Background
- Understanding and experience with next-generation sequencing workflows and data analysis
- Experience with delivery systems like hydrogels, micro and nanoparticles
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement complex multi-step assay schemes.
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Experience with microscopy, high-speed imaging, and/or quantitative fluorescence imaging
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.