Scientist II – Synthetic Organic Chemist
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Changing the definition of sequencing isn’t just our tagline – it’s a commitment to game-changing advances in the field of genomics. Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Scientist II – Synthetic Organic Chemist
10x is seeking an outstanding Synthetic Organic Chemist to join the Chemistry team and work on the synthesis, qualification, and development of key custom 10x reagents and processes. This is a unique cross-disciplinary position that will work closely with a variety of groups including; Chemistry, Microfluidics, Molecular Biology, and Consumable Process Development, to develop and integrate new reagents for the rapid expansion of 10x product lines. The ideal candidate must have a broad and extensive working knowledge of synthetic chemistry fundamentals, experience with a range of chemical transformations, purifications, and characterization techniques, as well as be able to apply that know-how creatively and independently in a fast-paced work environment. Preference will be given to applicants with a proven track record in polymer/monomer synthesis, nanoparticle synthesis, and surface modification techniques, with post PhD experience gained in an industrial setting.
Individuals applying for this position must be highly motivated self-starters, action driven, collaborative, have exceptional attention to detail, communicate effectively, and provide immediate contribution.
- The design, synthesis, characterization, and qualification of new and existing compounds to advance current 10x platforms and overcome potential technological challenges
- The design and synthesis of novel compounds for the functionalization of surfaces and production of nanomaterials
- Collaborate across multiple disciplines to identify, develop and implement novel chemistry solutions and translate these solutions from R&D to elegant and robust commercial product lines
- Identify, understand, and resolve potential failure modes at early stages of the product development process (PDP)
- Contribute to design decisions through effective communication of experimental design, results, and, conclusions at regular data-driven product development meetings
- Follow good laboratory practices, including OSHA requirements and maintenance of accurate laboratory notebooks
Required Skills and Background
- PhD degree in Chemistry or related discipline with 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- An extensive knowledge of synthetic transformations, purification and characterization techniques
- Experience with polymer/monomer synthesis and a broad knowledge of polymer chemistry in general
- Proven track record of nanoparticle synthesis, application, and characterization techniques
- Hands-on experience with surface modification chemistries and subsequent characterization
- Experienced in the independent operation of a diverse array of laboratory instrumentation, including appropriate experimental design/control/execution to achieve reliable and reproducible results
- Experience with moisture, temperature, and oxygen sensitive reagents and reactions
- Experience with a broad range of analytical techniques and biological assays including; NMR, UV-Vis, HPLC, GPC, DLS, flow cytometry and/or bioimaging
- Ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with scale-up projects and large scale synthesis (g → kg)
- Experience with hydrogel chemistry
- Experience with nanoprecipitation and in-situ polymerization
- Experience with surfactant stabilized emulsion-based systems/assays
- Experience with ‘Click’ chemistry
- Experience with microscopy, high-speed imaging, and/or quantitative fluorescence imaging
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.