Scientist/Senior Scientist – Cell Biology
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Scientist/Senior Scientist – Cell Biology
10x Genomics is looking for an outstanding scientist to drive development of new single-cell sample preparation and analysis methods. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of developing advanced methods or systems for propagation, perturbation and high-resolution analysis of mammalian cells and tissues. He/she should be driven by making great products and enjoy working in a truly multi-disciplinary environment. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, software, applications, chemistry, microfluidics and engineering.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
Key Responsibilities (List at least 5-6 key responsibilities that are expected of someone in this position)
- As a strong technical contributor, you will drive projects for preparation and characterization of high-quality single cell and nuclei suspensions from a variety of tissue types
- You will develop quantitative assays for cell quality, using microscope, plate reader, FACS, etc.
- You do not need significant next generation sequencing (NGS) experience, but you are responsible for quickly learning and mastering our NGS product workflows, and becoming conversant in NGS data analysis
- You will work on cross-disciplinary teams – You will collaborate and assist in identifying signs of poor cell quality in single-cell genomic datasets, and you will be responsible for developing and validating optimized sample preparation protocols that yield fundamental improvements in data quality
- You will plan and perform systematic protocol optimization by modeling, identification of critical steps and use of formal design of experiment (DOE) approaches
- You will follow good laboratory practices, including maintenance of accurate laboratory notebooks
Required Skills and Background (Must have education and years’ experience. See HR to appropriately align this with the level you desire to hire. Include the most important, must have skills and qualities)
- PhD in cell biology, molecular biology or a similar field plus minimum >3 years postdoctoral or industry experience
- Proven ability to develop advanced methods or systems for cell or tissue analysis, as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications or published patents
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Exceptional technical depth in one of more cell biology disciplines including flow cytometry, cell sorting, microscopy, CRISPR editing, mouse disease models, histology, cell-based assays
Desired Skills and Background (These are the nice to have skills but you can live without if the candidate has other key strengths)
- Experience developing high-throughput cell culture systems and/or cell-based assays
- Molecular biology including qPCR and/or NGS library prep
- Experience in high-content screening, single-cell genomics, functional genomics or immunology
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.