Senior Automation Engineer
Location: Pleasanton CA
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 800 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Senior Automation Engineer
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Automation Engineer to join our Consumable Products Development (CPD) team at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of consumable products associated with Next Generation Sequencing chemistries. This person will be responsible for developing and integrating automation solutions into the 10x manufacturing of complex reagents. This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with Product Development, Process Development, Manufacturing and R&D teams to assure 10x implements world class automation solutions.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in developing custom automation solutions. You will be at the center of development of novel automation solutions for 10x. This person should have a broad understanding of automation solutions for dispense, packaging, formulation and materials handling. You should love difficult problems, and love building custom automation solutions to solve them.
- Develop and implement industrial automation solutions for robust manufacturing of complex reagents.
- Work closely with design manufacturing firms on complex automation projects from defining project scope all the way to the site acceptance tests.
- Write software to control robotic systems and industrial PLCs for process control.
- Lead design activities for new automation systems.
- Support existing automation infrastructure with troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Analyze performance data and establish trends, identify errors and make improvements to systems to ensure reliability.
- Provide guidance for expansion of data collection activities to R&D organization.
- Develop calibration and maintenance documentation for automation systems.
- Contribute automation expertise and leadership to cross-disciplinary development teams to develop timely automation solutions for new product manufacturing
Required Skills and Background
- Advanced degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial engineering, Robotics or related field, with an emphasis in automation.
- M.S./Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Genomics, or similar fields with a minimum of 10 year’s post-graduate, industrial experience
- Experience with standard industrial automation technologies, PLCs, SCARA, SCADA, and HMI programming
- Experience with automating biotech fluid dispense systems, pumps, balances, pipettors
- Proven ability to design and deploy automation solutions in a manufacturing setting
- Strong organizational skills to manage multidisciplinary projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience programming Allen Bradley PLCs using structured text language
- Experience programming HMI and SCADA systems using ignition
- Laboratory automation experience a plus
- Mechanical design experience with Solidworks is a plus
- Capability to perform light mechanical/electrical work
- Familiarity with environmental monitoring of HVAC and manufacturing conditions (i.e. understanding of different sensors applications and limitations)
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.