Senior Computational Biologist – Stockholm, Sweden
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 800 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Computational Biologist: Product Development
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join our Computational Biology group. You will work closely with talented biochemists, microfluidics engineers, chemists and software engineers to develop single-cell and spatial genomic assays. Our products have allowed researchers to study biology at unprecedented resolution yielding insights in diverse fields such as cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, developmental and basic biology.
You will develop computational methods and analyses to measure and improve product performance during a fast-paced product development cycle. This includes discovering issues through careful analysis of sequencing data and working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary product team to help resolve them. You will also develop metrics and other automated analyses that will eventually be used by customers to benchmark assay performance.
You have a strong background in statistics, data analysis and you are deeply knowledgeable about existing genomic assays and the subtleties of NGS data. You are a good programmer who can take an idea and quickly implement it in code. You are able to communicate your ideas and work effectively with an interdisciplinary team and incorporate their feedback into your analysis. You are a strategic thinker, highly motivated, action driven and flexible in changing direction and methods. You thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, communicate clearly and get the job done.
- Establish prototype NGS processing pipelines for novel genomic assays
- Develop analysis tool to measure and guide development of genomic assays
- Use exploratory analysis and statistical models to troubleshoot and optimize the assay
- Build statistical analyses into robust tools for monitoring performance over time
- Define experimental metrics for measuring assay quality, and determine goals & priorities for assay development work.
- Design proof-of-concept experiments, analyze and interpret the data to demonstrate the unique power of the 10x Genomics platform internally and externally
Required Skills and Background
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. physics, mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, computational/systems biology or related field)
- Ability to quickly conceive and implement custom statistical methods and algorithms and apply them to large data sets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas with an interdisciplinary team
- Has experience with the analysis of NGS data
- Ability to work independently
Desired Skills and Background
- Strong programming ability in Python or R
- A deep intuition for the processes utilized by current NGS technologies
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over finding useful information in data
- Hands on experience with NGS data tools (e.g. bwa, samtools, GATK)
- Experience analyzing multiplexed imaging datasets (e.g. in situ sequencing, multiplexed FISH)
- A combination of mathematical depth with a healthy respect for the imperfections inherent in real-world data
- Strong interest in applying analytical tools to solve important and interesting biological problems
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.