Senior Microfluidics Engineer
Location: Pleasanton, California
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 800 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Senior Microfluidics Engineer
We are seeking an industry-proven developer of microfluidic technology to join the Microfluidics Group. Our team develops the microfluidic consumables that form one cornerstone of 10x products. We collaborate closely with experts in Molecular Biology and Chemistry and provide them with microfluidic technology platforms that enable their work. To be successful in this role, individuals must (i) have a strong understanding of microscale transport fundamentals, (ii) communicate effectively with non-microfluidicists, (iii) be driven to innovate, and to both find and fix problems, and (iv) work effectively with the team towards the success of 10x.
- Lead the technical development of new microfluidic consumables and microfluidic platform technologies
- Manage development timelines and coordinate efforts with representatives from other groups
- Contribute significantly in the lab – perform experiments, improve existing characterization tools, and develop new tools as needed
- Generate quality experimental results to inform data-driven decisions; communicate those results both within the Microfluidics Group and to outside groups
- Oversee the sustaining activities for existing products (failure mode analysis, troubleshoot issues with microfluidic chip manufacture)
Desired Background and Abilities
- PhD in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field, with an emphasis in microfluidics
- 5+ years of industry experience, with a track record of successfully bringing microfluidic products to market and sustaining them
- Successful implementation of several methods of microscale transport (e.g., pressure-driven flow, electrophoresis, dielectrophoresis, acoustophoresis)
- First-principles understanding of flow-particle, particle-particle, and particle-surface interactions
- Experience with industrial fabrication processes for microfluidic consumables (e.g., injection molding, wet-etching, plastic/glass bonding)
- Simultaneous development of microfluidic chips and the instrument to operate them (defining instrument requirements for robust chip control, test plan development and execution)
- Thorough attention to detail, without the tendency to get lost in them
- The motivation and organization required to deliver on a diverse set of tasks over short periods of time