Senior R&D Engineering Technician
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Senior R&D Engineering Technician
We are seeking an experienced, collaborative, and results-oriented individual to join our 10x team as Senior R&D Engineering Technician. You will be on a close-knit hardware R&D engineering team developing new instrument platforms for 10x, interacting with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working on the guts of instruments with mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics; they will have demonstrated skills and interests in hands-on work, design, calibration, and troubleshooting. You don’t have to know about chemistry or biology, but you should be interested! Much of the work is hands-on in the lab and shop assembling, tuning, testing, and revising one-of-a-kind prototypes. There are also opportunities for developing test fixtures and instrumentation and finding the best components for both the instruments and the test equipment.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Running mechanical, electrical, optical, and fluidic tests on prototypes, and documenting results clearly.
- Serving as the responsible individual for equipment and responding to issues with prototype systems and test equipment in the laboratory (troubleshooting, repairing, and requalifying).
- Maintaining and calibrating prototype instruments and test rigs.
- Assembling components, subsystems, and systems for testing.
- Developing fixtures and instrumentation for assembly and testing.
Required Skills and Background
- Associate’s degree in engineering technology and 4 years of related experience, or extensive experience that is equivalent.
- Experience with instruments including electro mechanical systems, preferably also with optics and/ or fluidics.
- Extensive experience diagnosing and correcting problems with instruments or equipment.
- Experience and aptitude with testing light mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with electrical circuits and power supplies.
- Experience with basic machining for modifying parts.
Desired Skills and Background
- Extensive experience working on analytical instruments combining mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics.
- Hands-on experience with breadboard build and optical alignment.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic circuits.
- Extensive experience in reliability or life testing.
- Experience programming and operating CNC machines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.