Senior Scientist –Product Development
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Senior Scientist – Product Development
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Scientist to join the New Product Introduction (NPI) team and lead the product development and technology transfer efforts on the next generation of 10x products. This is a unique cross-disciplinary position that will work closely with a variety of groups including Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computational Biology, QC, Manufacturing, and Marketing to develop and validate reagents, consumables, and kits for the rapid expansion of 10X’s product portfolio. Candidates must have a broad working knowledge of molecular biology and be able to apply that knowledge independently and creatively toward the development of novel NGS and array-based workflows. Previous experience with product devolvement as demonstrated by work on launched products is essential. The successful applicant will have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to meticulously execute and analyze highly complex experiments.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Lead the development and technology transfer efforts of new 10x products.
- Development and optimization of novel reagents for applications such as reverse transcription, amplification (linear and exponential), ligation, single strand recovery, targeted enrichment, and epigenetics.
- Conceive, develop, validate, and implement new QC methods to assess reagents, arrays, chips, consumables, and kits through a variety of analytical and functional tests.
- Drive the technology transfer phase of the product pipeline as new products move from R&D into Manufacturing in preparation for commercial launch.
- Independently troubleshooting and resolving reagent formulation, QC, and incoming material issues.
- Design and conduct experiments to determine underlying reaction mechanisms, cause and effect, failure modes, guard band studies and optimization using DOE methodologies.
- Help to build out our internal manufacturing and process development infrastructure across all product lines.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, developmental biology, genetics, microbiology, cell biology, analytical chemistry, or related fields.
- 5+ years relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in product or process development.
- Demonstrated record of successful technology transfer from early R&D concepts into customer-facing products.
- Previous work moving products from concept phase through launch.
- Deep understanding of a wide variety NGS library preparation workflows; single cell and/or array-based workflows strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success in developing and optimizing novel molecular biology assays.
- In depth knowledge of molecular biology and analytical techniques including qRT-PCR, ddPCR, FISH, IHC, PAGE, flow cytometry, HPLC, molecular cloning, gene editing, and nucleic acid isolation and manipulation.
- Experience developing and implementing novel QC methods to assess reagent performance in both functional and orthogonal assays.
- Proven ability to write SOPs and train others to successfully perform the work.
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills.
Desired Skills and Background
- Microarray development experience as demonstrated by the launch of successful array-based product lines.
- Expertise in tissue handling, cryo-sectioning, slide/array imaging, and IHC.
- Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP to analyze complex data sets, create DOE experiments, and data trending.
- Experience operating liquid handling robots and other laboratory automation tools. Experience programming these instruments would be highly beneficial.
- Experience working with microfluidic devices.
- Previous work with custom reagent vendors and setting up OEM relationships.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.