Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x is seeking an outstanding individual to join its growing Engineering and Product Development team in developing new technologies, devices and instrumentation for breakthrough next generation sequencing (NGS) applications. This person will be will be responsible for leading the development of software for controlling new life science instrumentation. These instruments may consist of a combination of motors, actuators, pumps, valves, relays, regulators, cameras, sensors, and temperature controllers and will process various types of biological samples.
The ideal candidate will have an education background in computer science or similar field with a minimum of 4 years of industry experience leading the development of software for commercial instrumentation or other similar complex products.
- Write drivers and other firmware to control a variety of hardware such as motors, pumps and temperature control devices. *FIRMWARE EXPERIENCE REQUIRED*
- Lead the development of custom software for commercial life science instrumentation.
- Develop a software architecture that runs on a Linux single board computer and consists of an instrument control component that is responsible for coordinating all processes and interactions with the instrument hardware/electronics. This component will be responsible for interacting with a touchscreen GUI, interpreting scripts and applying configurations from stored/editable files.
- Develop a software architecture that will support the use of a scripts package. These scripts will be used by biologists, chemists and other scientist to develop specific sets of processes and other recipes for handling different sample types and protocols.
- Write software for custom graphical user interfaces that guide users through the setup procedures and allow them to select different processes and run conditions.
- Write software to monitor and log instrument and component status and performance.
- Write software that allows for easy integration with third party laboratory information management systems.
- Work closely with engineers, scientists, project managers, manufacturing and field support teams to define and clarify software requests and specifications.
Required Skills and Background
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or similar discipline or equivalent.
- 4-8 years of relevant industry experience leading the development of software to control complex commercial instrumentation running multiple recipes and controlled from a touchscreen interface.
- Demonstrated expertise in Linux, C/C++, C#, and Python.
- Experience with version control software (Git).
- Experience writing PID algorithms for controlling closed loop feedback devices.
- Experience with pumps, actuators and stepper motor control.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization with motivation for taking ideas and products to the next level.