Staff Engineer, Instrument Systems
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x is looking for an outstanding Staff Engineer, Instrument Systems who will be responsible for developing complex tools and processes to create new capabilities for 10x. Activities required to do this include, establishing tool and process requirements, drive the development of these processes and tools, oversee the implementation into the production line, set up the appropriate tracking tools, LIMS, SPC charts, ERP. Analyze the data to establish process capability and drive continuous improvement.
10x has broad range of tools for the custom manufacturing of products. Some of these tools are highly integrated with custom chemistry and fluidics and as such requires the integration of mechanical design, with electronic and pneumatic control, various substrates and reagents.
The idea candidate will have a PhD or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics. A strong emphasis in tool development into a robust manufacturing process and ability to research and develop certain processes, such as substrate bonding, assembly, and fluidic transport is required. Detailed knowledge of fluidics and fluidics automation is desirable, and the working knowledge of tracking tools in a manufacturing environment, as well as creatively developing these tools and processes. Must be able to refine and optimize new methods into a robust and reliable manufacturing capability.
- Establish process requirements for performance and allowable tolerances.
- Research and establish current capabilities and mechanisms to create a foundation of knowledge.
- Propose design options, down select, and drive the development and implementation of these tools into a sustaining manufacturing environment.
- Ability to engineer and program the tools – MatLab / SolidWorks / LabView capability desired.
- Setting up an interface with a data collection and analysis system.
- Scale up of processes to meet future production demands.
- Processes to be developed and integrated include, substrate bonding and lamination, suspension handling systems, size filtration tooling, dispense systems, packaging and labelling equipment, interfaces with microfluidic devices, thermal transfer devices, visual analysis tools.
- Detailed qualification of installed processes.
Desired Skills and Background
- PhD in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Physics with an emphasis on substrate bonding, and automation.
- 5 years relevant experience managing the development of tooling for the manufacture of successful products.
- Ability to design meaningful experiments and in depth analysis of results. Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP, is beneficial.
- Ability to develop, validate and transfer process to manufacturing or OEM vendors.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
- Desire to make a beneficial impact.