Staff Engineer, Instrument Systems
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x is looking for an outstanding Staff Engineer, Instrument Systems who will be responsible for developing complex tools and processes to create new capabilities for 10x. Activities required to do this include, establishing tools and process requirements, drive the development of these tools and processes, oversee the implementation into our production lines, set up the appropriate tracking systems, define calibration and PM protocols and perform equipment validation.
10x has broad range of equipment for the custom manufacturing of our products. Some of these tools are highly integrated with custom robotics and fluidics and as such require the integration of mechanical, electronic, pneumatic and optical subsystems.
The idea candidate will have a PhD or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics. A strong emphasis in tool development into a robust manufacturing process and ability to research and develop new processes, such as plastics bonding, component assembly, and fluidic transport is required. Detailed knowledge of automation is desirable, and a working knowledge of tools in a manufacturing environment, as well as the ability to creatively develop these tools and processes. Must be able to refine and optimize new methods into a robust and reliable manufacturing capability.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution. Experience in mechanical design using SolidWorks is highly desired.
- Design and develop custom equipment to meet the automation needs of 10x manufacturing
- Propose design options, down select, and drive the development and implementation of these tools into a sustaining manufacturing environment
- Lead the development with internal and external resources to achieve cost and delivery requirements
- Ability to engineer and program the tools – SolidWorks / PLC programming experience desired
- Setting up an interface with a data collection and analysis systems
- Scale up of processes to meet future production demands
Desired Skills and Background
- PhD in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Physics with an emphasis on automation of complex manufacturing processes.
- 5 years relevant experience managing the development of tooling for the manufacture of successful products in the biotech or semiconductor industries.
- Ability to design meaningful experiments and in-depth analysis of results. Experience using statistical tools, is beneficial.
- Ability to develop, validate and transfer process to manufacturing or OEM vendors.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
- Desire to make a beneficial impact.