Staff Mechanical Engineer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Staff Mechanical Engineer
10x is seeking an outstanding individual to join its growing Engineering and Product Development team in developing new technologies, devices and instrumentation for breakthrough next generation sequencing (NGS) applications. These instruments may consist of a combination of motors, actuators, pumps, valves, relays, regulators, cameras, sensors, and temperature controllers and will process various types of biological samples.
- Take ownership of system and sub-system designs for DNA/RNA sample preparation and analysis of biological samples incorporating fluid handling, thermal control, electronics, packaging, optics, and biochemistry
- Responsible for ensuring that design activities are coordinated per the project needs. Establish and maintain project schedules and development of error budgets.
- Work with scientists, engineers, manufacturing and others to translate requirements and concepts into working hardware breadboard, prototype and produce systems that are ready for full production release
- Work with process and manufacturing engineers to ensure high quality production of products
- Build and test new concept designs
- Document designs and processes (Design Requirements, Design Reviews, Drawings, Analysis, Testing, ECOs)
- Troubleshoot systems using hardware and simulation tools
- Supervise and coordinate with contract engineers and service companies
Required Skills and Background
- BS/MS/Ph.D. in mechanical engineering or bio engineering with a minimum of 11 years relevant industry experience
- Experience with instrumentation in medical devices or biotechnology
- Hands on mechanical engineer with proven track record of high quality designs that met product requirements on time and on budget
- Delivered at least one successful product from engineering to production
- Involved in product definition and architecture as well as product release processes
- Prepared reports and design reviews for cross functional groups
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with at least two of the following areas: control systems, system integration, mass flow and thermodynamics, microfluidics systems, injection molding, optical systems
- Proficient in SolidWorks and EPDM/PDMWorks
- Experienced in generating mechanical drawings
- Proficient with analysis methods (FEA and tolerance analysis)
- Knowledge of and experience with electronic document control systems (ECO process)
- Can independently identify design problems and come up with suggested solutions
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team including chemistry and molecular biology
- Knowledge of a variety of manufacturing techniques and processes
- Experience with injection molded part design
- Experience operating machine tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, personable manner
- High energy and interest in working in a startup environment
- Hands-on, can-do approach
- Knowledge of software programming or electrical engineering design
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.