Staff Optical Engineer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Staff Optical Engineer
10x is seeking an outstanding individual to join its growing Engineering and Product Development team in developing new technologies, devices and instrumentation for breakthrough next generation sequencing (NGS) applications.
The Staff Optical Engineer will serve as the optical lead for next generation product development. This individual will spend full-time working as an instrumentation-level optics engineer on development projects and provide technical guidance to other engineers in supporting the optical architecture. As a key member of a dynamic multidisciplinary project team, the successful candidate will be expected to understand system-level function, performance & requirements, and help to create world-class bioanalytical instruments.
- Design and analysis of optical systems, analyzing system performance and selecting key optical components.
- Simulating and characterizing optical designs and performing tolerance analyses using ZEMAX and/or other tools.
- Support integration of complex systems involving optics, electronics, software, firmware, microfluidics, and mechanical sub-assemblies.
- Support the mechanical engineering and system engineering leads with the opto-mechanical system design.
- Oversee the development of optical component, subassembly, and system inspection and test methodology and support transfer to production personnel.
- Interface with optical component suppliers and support the quote and order process during prototype development.
- Support new business proposals with preliminary optical designs ideas and performance simulations
Required Skills and Background
- MS or Ph.D with 11+ years’ experience in the development of optical systems, or BS with equivalent experience.
- Strong background in developing both active and passive optical systems.
- Experience in designing optical systems for micro-scale systems or microfluidics
- Expert level experience with ZEMAX or other optical design tools.
- Experience in tolerance analysis and stray light analysis
- Hands-on and laboratory skills in building, testing, validation, and troubleshooting of optical, electrical, and/or mechanical subsystems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to manage small programs and small technical teams
- Self-motivated and self-directed individual, with little supervision necessary
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with Opto-Mech design and CAD software tools.
- Experience with data analysis tools, e.g. Matlab and/or Labview.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, personable manner
- High energy and interest in working in a startup environment
- Hands-on, can-do approach
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.