VP, Hardware Engineering
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, their award-winning Chromium System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale.
10x Genomics is looking for a Vice President of Hardware Engineering to scale their hardware engineering organization for the next phase of 10x’s growth.
Reporting to the CSO of 10x, the selected candidate will provide oversight for the entire hardware engineering organization. The candidate must have the vision and experience and motivation to lead a team focused on developing and commercializing instrumentation platforms, consumables, and workflows for breakthrough NGS applications. They must also combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution, to operate successfully within a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary Product Development team. This individual will build an industry leading operation through the recruitment and training of premiere engineering talent.
The selected candidate will work with an extremely talented group of people both within and across disciplines including biochemistry, microfluidics, software engineering, and computational biology. The collective goal is to invent and develop new tools that enable scientists to explore biology at its true resolution by asking, and answering, new questions that they fundamentally could not ask before.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- 15-20 years of hardware engineering experience within a fast-paced-collaborative environment.
- Substantial experience scaling and building highly technical hardware/product development teams.
- Ability to lead integration of mechanical, electrical, optical and software projects that result in sophisticated yet elegant and robust products.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain top talent while providing mentorship and career advancing opportunities to managers and subordinates
- Leadership skills in a highly-matrixed environment, which involves project and functional organization; ability to motivate an organization to act.
- Establish credibility and influence with executive leadership and peers across the organization using clear, concise and authoritative written and oral communications. Collaborate effectively across departments, fostering a culture of trust, openness and accountability.
- Identify new capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.
- Instinct for recognizing opportunities to invest in building the right thing for the long-term.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines and to make progress with multiple project and functional priorities simultaneously.
- Experience with the development of products under ISO 9001 quality system and for regulated markets is desirable but not essential.
- Open to innovation; deep understanding of the dynamic changes in the NGS field.
- Demonstrated listening and synthesizing skills.
- Humble attitude.
BS/MS/Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or Bioengineering preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.