Protein Engineer – NGS Applications
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics builds products and services that interrogate, understand and master biology to advance human health. Our products are being utilized by researchers around the world and have been cited in research papers on discoveries across the life sciences, including oncology, immunology and neuroscience. We are proud to have our products adopted by 93 of the top 100 global research institutions and 13 of the top 15 global pharmaceutical companies.
Come and join the 10x difference and be a part of a dynamic experience that will take you from scientific curiosity to discovery. By joining our team, you collaborate with highly skilled colleagues and become an integral part in helping our customers discover breakthroughs that will help transform the world in the coming decades.
We are looking for an exceptional scientist to drive protein engineering and related reagent development efforts in our Molecular Biology department. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of developing novel enzyme variants and other protein reagents for use in complex molecular biology applications. He/she should be driven by making great products and enjoy working in a truly multi-disciplinary environment. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, chemistry, consumables process development, manufacturing and microfluidics.
- Conceive, identify and develop novel/optimized enzymes and other protein reagents for assays running on the 10x Genomics technology platform
- Plan and perform protein development by screening or directed evolution
- Plan and perform protein optimization by modeling, identification of limiting steps and use of formal design of experiment (DOE) approaches
- Plan and perform protein expression, purification and characterization
- Contribute protein engineering expertise and leadership to cross-disciplinary product development teams
- Work closely with computational biologists to interpret data generated by novel/optimized protein reagents
- Work closely with process development and manufacturing staff to develop quality control and manufacturing strategies for novel/optimized reagents
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology or a similar field, with a minimum of 3 years post-graduate experience in academia and/or industry
- Proven ability to develop novel optimized enzymes and affinity reagents preferably with direct experience creating DNA and RNA modification enzymes, as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, published patents or launched products
- Experience in enzyme assay design and development as well as activity screening and directed evolution and or enzyme screening
- Experience in design, construction and characterization of protein variant libraries
- Experience in protein expression, purification and characterization
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research