Enzymologist – NGS Applications
Location: Pleasanton, California
Enzymologist – NGS Applications
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
We are looking for an exceptional scientist to drive enzyme engineering and related reagent development efforts in our Molecular Biology (part of R&D) department. This positions The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of evaluating novel enzyme variants and other protein reagents for use in complex molecular biology applications. He/she should be driven by making great products and enjoy working in a truly multi-disciplinary environment. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, chemistry, consumables process development, manufacturing and microfluidics.
- Conceive, identify and develop novel/optimized enzyme assays and for applications running on the 10x Genomics technology platform
- Plan and perform protein development by functional screening
- Plan and perform testing of protein optimization by modeling, identification of limiting steps and use of formal design of experiment (DOE) approaches
- Contribute enzymology expertise and leadership to cross-disciplinary product development teams
- Work closely with computational biologists to interpret NGS data generated by novel/optimized protein reagents
- Work closely with process development and manufacturing staff to develop quality control and manufacturing strategies for novel/optimized reagents
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology or a similar field, with a minimum of 3 years post-graduate experience in academia and/or industry
- Proven ability to develop novel optimized enzymes and affinity reagents preferably with direct experience creating DNA and RNA modification enzymes for NGS applications, as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, published patents or launched products
- Experience in enzyme assay design and development as well as activity screening and enzyme screening
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research