Field Application Scientist, Chicago
Location: Remote, Chicago
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
The Field Application Scientist is responsible for performing system usage trainings at customer sites, while providing experimental design, data analysis, logistical, and troubleshooting support for their region. The Field Applications Scientist will be a key contact in conjunction with in-house Technical Support for responding to issues and maintaining relationships with customers. The primary goals of this position are to ensure rapid adoption and maximum customer success with 10x Genomics’ products.
- Perform as the technical account manager, acting as the point of contact between the customer and company.
- Keep customers apprised and trained on advancements in 10x technology and software.
- Coordinate and perform customer site trainings and demonstrations
- Identify, document and communicate customer complaints and concerns to management.
- Contribute to white papers and documentation with the goal of expanding support content.
- Scientifically partner with customers as they develop their research utilizing 10x technology.
- Engage in scientific discussions with customers to cultivate long term relationships
- Create and maintain positive working relationships with customers. Key, is the ability to manage expectations while exceeding the customer’s needs.
- Gather and deliver strategic and competitive customer feedback, communicating customer use cases beyond initial product scope to Marketing and Product Development teams.
- Troubleshoot issues related to user's technical skills, biochemistry/assay design, experimental design, software and instruments.
- Interpret customer needs and identify the proper issue escalation pathway within 10x.
Support field sales team at trade shows, seminars and technical symposia. This will include presentations and networking with thought leaders.
- Ability to maintain composure in potentially stressful situations.
Desired Skills and Background
- D. or equivalent experience preferred; BA/BS with 5 years of experience, MS with 3 years of experience in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or Genetics considered.
- 5 years lab experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, genomics or genetics.
- 3 years of hands-on experience with NGS workflows and data analysis software and/or sorting cytometry and associated analysis software.
- 2 years customer facing experience preferred.
- Hands on proficiency with common molecular biology bench techniques; cell culture experience preferred.
- Broad knowledge of genomics, biochemistry. Single cell laboratory experience is considered a plus.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team towards corporate goals.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and systematic troubleshooting skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Outstanding presentation and training skills.
- Familiarity with SFDC software. Ability to maintain records for customer sites and provide high level feedback to management.
- Clear vision of and commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Must be willing to travel up to 80%.
- Ability to manage a large territory.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.