Senior Engineering Technician
Location: Pleasanton CA
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 800 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are seeking an experienced, collaborative, and results-oriented Senior Engineering Technician to join our Hardware R&D Group. This candidate will be on a close-knit hardware R&D engineering team developing new instrument platforms for 10x, interacting with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working on the guts of instruments with mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics; they will have demonstrated skills and interests in hands-on work, design, calibration, and troubleshooting. You don’t have to know about chemistry or biology, but you should be interested! Much of the work is hands-on in the lab and shop assembling, tuning, testing, and revising one-of-a-kind prototypes. There are also opportunities for developing test fixtures and instrumentation and finding the best components for both the instruments and the test equipment.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
What you will be doing:
- Running mechanical, electrical, optical, and fluidic tests on prototypes, and documenting results clearly.
- Serving as the responsible individual for equipment and responding to issues with prototype systems and test equipment in the laboratory (troubleshooting, repairing, and requalifying).
- Maintaining and calibrating prototype instruments and test rigs.
- Assembling components, subsystems, and systems for testing.
- Developing fixtures and instrumentation for assembly and testing.
To be successful, you will need:
- Associate’s degree in engineering technology and 4 years of related experience, or extensive experience that is equivalent.
- Experience with instruments including electro mechanical systems, preferably also with optics and/ or fluidics.
- Extensive experience diagnosing and correcting problems with instruments or equipment.
- Experience and aptitude with testing light mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with electrical circuits and power supplies.
- Experience with basic machining for modifying parts.
Nice to have skills & background:
- Extensive experience working on analytical instruments combining mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics.
- Hands-on experience with breadboard build and optical alignment.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic circuits.
- Extensive experience in reliability or life testing.
- Experience programming and operating CNC machines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.