Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Pleasanton CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
10x Genomics is a rapidly growing company in the life sciences, whose core technology combines advances in instrumentation, chemistry, biochemistry, microfluidics and computational biology. 10x is looking for an outstanding individual to join its Instrumentation Engineering team supporting our ultra-precision mechanical designs and execution of 10x products.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Mechanical Engineering of automation and life sciences instrumentation. Demonstrated hands on experience with SolidWorks and PDM software is required. Previous experience in producing mechanical designs that include automation, fluid handling and instrument structural components are a must.
- Responsible for the design, development, and release of mechanical designs for life science instrumentation or medical capital equipment.
- Designing pneumatic systems for microfluidic management, including pressure control architecture and the selection of sensors, valves and pumps.
- Developing instrument electro-mechanical and structural components
- Coordinate designs with other key functions including Assay, Optical, Electrical and System Engineering.
- Development of automated fluid and consumables handling automation/robotics.
- Proven track record of taking new products from concept through design and into manufacturing.
- Thorough understanding and hands-on experience producing mechanical design documentation, in support of releasing new products into manufacturing.
- Experience with managing both internal and external (out-sourced) product development efforts.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- BS Degree with relevant experience or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years of experience in life science instrumentation, and/or automation/robotics mechanical design.
- Proficient in SolidWorks
- Understanding of GD&T and statistical tolerance analysis
- Understands basic thermal dynamics, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis.
- Working knowledge and understanding of pneumatics is a strong plus
- Familiarity with various ideation methodologies and design for manufacturing principles.
- Experienced in Supplier Engagement and support, domestic and off-shore
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques, machining, injection molding and consumables for biotech
- Experience working with under ISO 9001
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.