Senior Scientist – Assay Development
Location: Pleasanton, California
10x Genomics is a high-growth genomics instruments, consumables and software company, founded in 2012 and now comprising 600+ employees. 10x is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, 10x’s Chromium System performs deep cellular analyses, enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. The company’s mission is to accelerate the mastery of biology to advance human health.
Since launching its first product in 2015, 10x Genomics has quickly become one of the most successful and impactful companies in the life sciences industry. The company raised a total of $243 million in funding from investors that included Venrock, Fidelity, and Softbank. 10x went public in September 2019 in an IPO that raised nearly $390 million. 10x has reported significant growth in revenue, generating $146 million in 2018, with >100% annual growth. In a short period of time, 10x has achieved leadership across multiple fields in the life sciences, enabling fundamental discoveries described in over 450 peer-reviewed publications. The company is in the very early stages of its growth and anticipates many opportunities ahead, spanning basic research as well as applications in biopharma and clinical diagnostics.
Products and Solutions
Since introducing its first commercial product in 2015, 10x has launched numerous products spanning instruments, reagents, and software across multiple application areas, including single cell analysis, immunology and spatial genomics. The company’s Chromium platform has a global install base of over 1,000 instruments, used across many areas of biology, including oncology, immunology, and neuroscience. In 2018 10x launched multiple new products and made its first two acquisitions to bring in new technologies for future product development. The company has an extensive and deep product pipeline and will continue advancing within existing product lines and expand into new directions.
What can you do at the intersection of biology and technology?
Scientist/Senior Scientist – Molecular Biology
We are looking for an exceptional scientist to drive new research and product development efforts in our Molecular Biology department.
The ideal candidate will have a solid knowledge in nucleic acid-modifying assays and/or proteomic assays, a proven track-record of developing innovative biochemistry/molecular biology protocols for detecting analytes (nucleic acids, proteins, metabolites, etc.) in tissues, as well as broad microscopy experience.
He/she should be driven by building innovative, robust and truly enabling products and enjoy working in a truly multi-disciplinary environment. The successful candidate in this position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, software, chemistry, and microfluidics.
- Conceive and develop novel biochemistry/molecular biology assay schemes for applications including spatial transcriptomics, highly-multiplexed imaging, molecular probing and tissues chemistry/biochemistry.
- Plan and perform systematic workflow and reagent optimization by modeling, identification of critical factors, and use of formal design of experiment (DOE) approaches
- Contribute biochemistry/molecular biology/pathology expertise and leadership to cross-disciplinary product development teams
- Work closely with computational biologists to interpret data generated by novel and optimized assay schemes
- Work closely with process development staff to develop quality control and manufacturing strategies for novel or optimized reagents
Required Skills and Background
- MD or MD/PHD with a minimum of 5 years post-graduate experience in academia and/or industry. PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, pathology, molecular biology, or a related field with a minimum of 3 years post-graduate experience in academia and/or industry .
- Proven ability to design novel biochemistry/molecular biology assay schemes, as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, published patents, or commercialized products
- Familiarity with tissue-staining principles
- Familiarity with data analysis
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Desired Skills and Background
- Spatial transcriptomics, highly-multiplexed imaging or pathology
- Experience with FFPE-tissue processing methods is a plus
- Experience in microscopy and broad image-analysis
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.