Senior Scientist- Process Development
Location: Pleasanton CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Senior Scientist – Process Development
10x is looking for an outstanding Senior Scientist to join the Process Development team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in chemistry or chemical engineering and be able to apply that knowledge independently and creatively to develop chip manufacturing processes, capacity improvements, and reagent manufacturing processes. Demonstrated experience in process development, scale-up, implementation and validation in a commercial manufacturing facility is required.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Develop novel chip manufacturing processes and capacity improvements.
- Develop, optimize, validate and implement a broad range of chemistry-based production processes from R&D into Manufacturing.
- Develop a deep understanding of the interplay between chemistry, microfluidics, production processes, and molecular biology to assist in identifying the root cause of product deviations, troubleshoot them, and identify solutions.
- Experimentation to understand reaction mechanisms and interactions, process variability, failure modes, guard band studies, and DOE methodologies.
- Identify and optimize any compounding factors, such a temperature, environment, workflow, pressures, reagent concentrations that could impact the resulting product.
- Scale up and develop alternative production processes to meet demand as 10x Genomics continues to grow.
- Define QC strategy and methods to ensure processes are in control. Develop and implement novel analytical methods as needed.
- Independently troubleshoot and resolve issues related to manufacturing processes, QC, and incoming material quality.
- Communicate and present results clearly and contribute data for making critical design decisions through accurate record of experimental details, documentation, and presentations.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Process Engineering or related field.
- 5 years relevant experience developing successful processes in the life science industry with deep technical understanding of polymers, oils or surfactant chemistry.
- Strong Process Transfer experience demonstrating control of manufacturing processes through appropriate Process Design and QC methods.
- Ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines.
- Experience with automation equipment or custom instrumentation.
- Ability to design meaningful experiments and in depth analysis of results. Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP, is beneficial.
- Ability to develop, validate and transfer process to manufacturing or OEM vendors.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.